Terms & Conditions
Part of the ethos of our organisation is to treat everyone fairly. For you, our customer, this means that we are committed to dealing honestly and openly with you every step of the way, from the moment you book with us, to the time you return home from your trip.
To start with we want to ensure that you fully understand the terms and conditions of your booking. We know that you are often presented with long detailed legal terms and conditions when you purchase items online and many people simply tick the box agreeing to the terms without bothering to read them, but you really do need to read and understand our terms.
We have done our best to make these booking terms easy to understand, and they are very important as they are the basis for your booking with Impact Holiday Ltd. As part of the booking process, you must acknowledge in writing that you agree to them and the trip is sold to you subject to these terms and conditions.
Impact Holiday Ltd is a UK Limited Liability company whose registered office is at 2nd Floor Builder House, Mayors Road, Altrincham, Cheshire WA15 9RP All correspondence should be directed to this office.
In the following booking terms and conditions, "we", "us" and "our" refer to Impact Holiday Ltd.
"You" and "your" refer to the customer whose name appears on the booking and for whom the trip is being arranged; "trip" includes all the arrangements we put in place for you overseas.
Booking, payments, changes to bookings, cancellations, amendments, price changes
- You can book with us by telephone or online. Bookings should be made by the person travelling, and you must be 18 or over to make a booking. Your booking must be made in the exact way your name appears in your passport. You can book with travelling companion(s), but they should complete their own booking details and sign that they accept the terms and conditions. If you do book on behalf of someone else you must have their permission to share their personal details with Impact Holiday and confirm that you are agreeing to our terms and conditions on their behalf.
- When you book a place on most trips you have the following options with regards to deposits and payments:
- Normal Plan: Pay a deposit of £199 per programme booked, and then pay the balance of the trip fee 12 weeks (84 days) before departure. You can pay the booking deposit by credit or debit card, cheque, cash or by BACs transfer. Deposits are non refundable, and not transferable. However in the event that your trip choice or dates become unavailable for any reason, we will refund your deposit or transfer it to another trip of your choice.
- Payment Plan: Pay just £49 at time of booking, and make equal monthly payments starting from the first month following your booking and your last payment is to be made one full calendar month prior to departure. The deposit payment must be paid on a debit or credit card, and then we'll provide you with a standing order form for your bank. Payment plan does not apply for trips departing within 84 days of booking. The first two payment instalments and deposit are non refundable. However in the event that your trip choice of dates becomes unavailable for any reason, we will refund your payments or transfer them to another trip.
- If you book more than one trip at the same time as part of your travel itinerary, you may have to pay more than one deposit, depending which trips you choose.
- You should not book flights or make any travel arrangements in conjunction with your booking until you have received confirmation from us. When your space is confirmed you will receive an email accepting your booking and we will also send you a second email which will include your log-in details for your personal online account, where you can access all of your pre-departure information. At that point a contract will exist between you and Impact Holiday. Please review the confirmation and let us know if there are any details that need correction, for example the spelling of your name etc.
- If you fail to make a payment on time, either on the payment plan or on the normal plan, we will deem your trip cancelled and you will lose the deposit (if you are on the normal plan) or the first month's payment and deposit (if you are on the payment plan). If you wish to rebook a place back onto your trip, you will need to contact us in writing and you will be required to pay a new booking deposit for any trip you choose to rebook.
- If you are booking a trip that departs within 84 days of your departure date, full payment is due with your booking to secure your place. If you have booked more than one trip concurrently with us, the full balance on all trips is due at the same time as the full payment of your first trip, i.e. 84 days before your departure date (the date you depart your home country).
- If you wish to make date changes to a booking after we have issued your deposit confirmation, you must inform us in writing by email. Changes made before we issue your confirmation are free. If you want to make a date change to your booking after we have issued a confirmation, provided it is made prior to 84 days before departure, there will be an administration fee of £35. If you want to make changes within 84 days of departure please contact us in writing to request your change. If it is possible to make the change we will confirm how much this will cost. If it is not possible to make the change you have the option to continue with your original booking or cancel the trip. In the event that you cancel, cancellation charges will apply, see section 10. If your change means that your trip price increases, you will need to pay the difference to us at the time of making the change. If your change means that your trip price decreases, we will refund you the difference. If we allow you to postpone your booking, you must chose a new start date within one year from the date we postpone your trip.
- If you want to cancel your booking you must do so in writing, by letter or email. Provided your written cancellation is received in our office prior to 84 days before departure there will be no cancellation charge other than the forfeiture of your deposit. If you are on the payment plan you will lose your deposit and your first two monthly instalment payments. If your cancellation notice is received in our office within 84 days of departure the following cancellation terms apply:
- Cancellation received 50 - 84 days before departure: you lose 50% of trip cost
- Cancellation received 16 - 49 days before departure: you lose 75% of trip cost
- Cancellation received 0 - 15 days before departure: you lose 100% of trip cost
In the event there are unusual extenuating circumstances regarding your cancellation (such as the loss of an immediate family member) please write to us explaining the situation and we will do our best to deal fairly with you.
- If you have paid for flights and wish to cancel the flights, you may, or may not, be entitled to a partial refund on the cost of flights, depending entirely on the rules applying to the fare type. When you book flights it is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the cancellation/refund policy on your ticket. Impact Holiday cannot be held liable for any flight refunds or change fees.
- If we have to cancel your booking for operational reasons, for example if the minimum number of passengers required on the trip does not materialise, we will make a full refund of monies you have paid us for the programme, or offer you a suitable alternative trip. Impact Holiday cannot be held liable for any flight refunds including any costs for changing flights. We will not cancel a trip for minimum numbers reasons within 28 days of departure. If we have to make a serious change to your trip, and you do not accept the changes, we will refund your monies in full. A serious change could be a change in departure date of longer than 3 days or a change in trip destination or duration. In the event we make a serious change, which you accept, unless the change is necessary because of force majeure we will compensate you as follows:
- Serious change arising less than 15 days before departure: we will pay you £50
- Serious change arising less than 50 days before departure: we will pay you £30
- Serious change arising 84 days or less before departure: we will pay you £15
- Serious change arising more than 84 days before departure: no payment
- Force Majeure. If we have to cancel or make major changes to your programme because of force majeure we will not be liable to refund your monies or pay you compensation. We will do our best to offer you an alternative trip but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do this. Force Majeure can include, but is not limited to, war, the threat of war, civil strife, terrorist activities or the threat of terrorist activities, acts of governments or local authorities, strikes, industrial disputes, demonstrations, natural disasters, unnatural disasters such as explosions or any similar event which is outside our control or the control of our suppliers.
As a responsible tour operator, we follow the advice issued by the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). If the FCO issues an advisory against all travel to a country that you are booked to travel to with Impact Holiday, we will offer you an alternative trip or a full refund. If the FCO advises against all travel to certain parts of a country that you will be visiting on our programme, we will change your trip to avoid that part of the country.
- We may have to make changes to your trip once you have departed, for a variety of reasons, depending on circumstances. You acknowledge that travel to many of our destinations can involve delays and other issues due to the nature of the country or the unsophisticated transportation infrastructure. Once you are on your trip we will only make changes for reasons concerning your personal safety or convenience, and there will be no refund for any activities or other parts of the trip which you might miss as a result of our changes. You acknowledge that travelling through some regions of the world in which we operate does involve potential delays and hazards and we cannot be held responsible for cancellations and changes that are beyond our control.
- If you leave your trip before the end for any reason we will not be liable for any refund of the unused portion.
- Once you have paid in full, the price for your trip is guaranteed not to increase. Until you have paid us in full however, currency fluctuations, increases in transportation or suppliers costs, or other reasons, may mean that the cost of your trip changes. We will absorb the first 2% of any price increase, but we may have to increase the price of your trip. If we increase the price by more than 10% you are entitled to cancel and receive a full refund. We will not increase the price within 30 days of your departure, and we will not increase the price once you have paid us in full.
- If you book more than 12 months ahead of your programme start date or book a trip as open-dated/unknown start date, we cannot guarantee that the price of your trip will not increase. But if you pay for your trip in full at time of booking, we will guarantee that you will receive no increase in price with the exception of visas.
- The Impact Holiday brochure is printed many months ahead of the trip you book. The description and trip details published in the printed brochure may become out of date. If there is a difference in trip or other details between the Impact Holiday website information and the brochure, it is the website that will have the latest information. Prices and other details in the brochure are guidelines and may change. We advise you to check the website for trip details.
- On some trips we provide a "buddy list" with contact details of the other customers on your trip. Unless you tell us in writing that you do not wish other customers in your group to have your email address, we will include you on the list.
In order to process your booking and to ensure that your travel arrangements run smoothly and meet your requirements, we need to use the personal information that you provide. We take responsibility for ensuring that proper security measures are in place to protect your information.
We must pass your information on to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements such as airlines, hotels, and transport companies. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs/immigration if required by them or as required by law.
Controls on data protection may not be as stringent outside the European Economic Area as the legal requirement in the UK, or your country of residence. We will only pass information to any person responsible for part of your travel arrangements. Where you provide us with personal details, you consent to this information being passed on to such organizations, or companies responsible for your travel arrangements. If we cannot pass on this information, we cannot provide your travel arrangements.
Impact Holiday complies with relevant data protection requirements and has in place an effective policy for protecting your privacy. The policy is available for you to see. The main points are:
- We will collect and use the personal data you give us fairly and lawfully. Your data will include contact information, personal information and preferences, and will be used for us to gauge your suitability for the trip you are booking and to help us correctly make arrangements for your trip. We will pass on many of the details you give us to the overseas staff and suppliers so that they can properly prepare you for your trip.
- Some of your data could be sensitive, such as your religion or health details. We require this data to ensure that your trip preparations can be properly made and you consent to its use.
- You can request to see all the personal data we hold about you at any time, and we will show you. We will explain to you why we need the data and to whom it will be passed.
- We will amend any date that changes, such as an address change or contact details.
- You have the right to opt out of future marketing approaches from us but must inform us if you do not wish to be contacted.
- The information you provide to us will only be held for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is collected.
- We will not give away or sell your data to any organization other than the ones we deem necessary for the proper organization of your trip.
- We reserve the right to use images, videos, and comments made by you, including content uploaded through your online account, and including content taken by us, our suppliers or others, for use in Impact Holiday marketing or other publications and websites, now or in the future. You accept that we have the right to do this and we may mention your name, location and age. If you do not wish these images, videos, or comments to appear you must advise us at the time you see them publicized and we will remove them from websites and cease using them in future marketing materials or campaigns.
We are entitled to assume that you do not object to our doing any of the things mentioned above unless you tell us otherwise in writing.
Our website pages use HTTPS security encryption.
You can book with Impact Holiday fully confident that the monies you pay to us are secure.
The Association of Bonded Travel Organisers Trust Limited (ABTOT) provides financial protection under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 for Impact Holiday LTD, and in the event of their insolvency, protection is provided for the following:
- Non-flight packages commencing and returning to the UK.
- Non-flight packages commencing and returning to a country other than the UK.
- Flight inclusive packages that commence outside of the UK, which are sold to customers outside the UK.
1, 2 and 3 provides for a refund in the event you have not yet travelled. 1 and 3 provides for repatriation. Please note that bookings made outside the UK are only protected by ABTOT when purchased directly with Impact Holiday LTD.
Travelling without insurance is a real risk. It is a requirement of booking with Impact Holiday that you will purchase travel insurance and you will provide proof of other insurance that you hold.
We recommend that you purchase insurance when you book your trip because you are then covered for trip cancellation. You must give us proof that you are insured no later than 30 days before departure. We cannot allow uninsured customers to travel with us, so if you do not provide proof of insurance we will cancel your trip and the cancellation charges will apply.
In the event that you do not book travel insurance with us, and fail to provide us with adequate proof of insurance (a policy name, number and details from a recognized insurance provider) before your departure, we will regard your trip as cancelled and you will not be eligible for a refund.
It is essential that you understand what risks your policy covers. Some policies do not include deep sea diving, bungee jumping, horse riding or extreme sports. Some policies do not cover paid work or volunteering. Others require you to pay medical services locally and claim back when you return to the UK. Still more policies cease if you return to the UK unexpectedly, interrupting your trip. It is your responsibility to know what your policy covers. Impact Holiday cannot be held responsible if you are un-insured for an activity or event despite you believing that your policy covered you.
- Baggage, possessions and valuables
You are responsible for ensuring that your possessions are safe at all times. You should include baggage insurance with your health insurance and make sure that you are adequately covered.
We cannot be held responsible for your baggage and possessions except when they are specifically in our care or the care of our suppliers. When your baggage is stored on vehicles or in accommodations it is at your risk and it is your responsibility to see that it is correctly and safely stored. We strongly recommend that you obtain appropriate baggage insurance for all your possessions and most good travel insurers will supply this at a reasonable price.
Passport and Visas
It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport is up to date and not about to expire. You should have at least 6 months left on the passport past the date you plan to return to the UK, as some countries require this. We will offer you advice about whether or not you need a visa to enter any country on your trip, but we are not responsible for obtaining visas for you. We will provide you with the contact name and numbers of the consulate or embassy of the country for which you are required to obtain a visa and it is your responsibility to ensure that you receive a visa in your passport prior to travel. We cannot be held liable if the advice we have given you is superseded by very recent visa changes instituted by a country's embassy. You may choose to use a visa service to obtain visas for you at your own cost. We strongly advise you to regularly check with the relevant embassy to ensure that recent changes have not occurred. It is your responsibility to ensure that any visa granted to you does not expire while you are in that country, or even before you arrive if you are booking many months before travel. No matter where you are headed to, you must ensure that you have the correct entry documentation. Some countries require a yellow fever certificate or other inoculation. Your Impact Holiday trip advisor can help you with advice about this, but we cannot be held responsible for any omissions or changes that occur. We advise you to review the websites for the embassy or consulate of each country you plan to visit for the latest regulations. If you are travelling to or via the USA or Canada, there are special electronic travel requirements for all non-citizens.
Health and Safety
We are not medically trained and your Impact Holiday travel advisor cannot issue advice about whether a trip should be booked or not due to medical issues. You are advised to see your GP before you travel and seek their advice about inoculations and medicines you might need.
We do issue you with a checklist for what you should be prepared to pack and take with you, but these are guidelines only and we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.
If you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition that may affect your ability to participate fully in the trip as described in our brochure and on the website, you must advise us in writing so that we can pass this information on to the trip coordinator overseas. We may ask for a medical form to be completed by your doctor if you have any medical conditions. We must receive the completed medical form back at least 30 days prior to your trip start date in order for your space on the trip to be confirmed. It is your responsibility to take any medicines you may need with you. In the event that you cannot participate in any part of the trip because of a medical condition, we will not be able to refund any portion of the trip fee.
At the time of booking, or before you depart for you trip, we will ask you to provide us with the name and number of someone who we can contact in case of emergency. We reserve the right to contact this person in the event that Impact Holiday or a member of the local staff are concerned about your welfare, or the welfare of others on your trip due to your actions or behaviour.
We strongly recommend that you sign up for a safety awareness course before you leave the UK. Your Impact Holiday advisor can provide you with course details.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office provides excellent and up-to-date advice for UK citizens traveling abroad.
Our Responsibilities and Liability
Our responsibility to you is to provide you with the services that you have booked with us, whether provided by Impact Holiday directly, or our overseas suppliers and subcontractors. We coordinate with overseas suppliers and subcontractors to the best of our abilities to ensure that the information we give you is correct. We will not make misleading statements and we will use care and skill in making the arrangements for your trip. Once we have provided the information about your trip to you, and you have booked, we will provide you with further details, such as specifics about airport transfers, accommodations and other matters.
We check the information that we provide to you carefully, but things can change and any errors or omissions are inadvertent and we cannot be held responsible for them, other than to refund you for any services which you have not received as a direct result of our negligence. We cannot be held responsible for changes made to your trip as a result of weather, political or terrorist threats or other events beyond our control.
We will update the information on the Impact Holiday website and it is your responsibility to check this for changes once we have notified you. We are not responsible where the failure to perform the services for your trip is neither due to us or our sub-contractors or suppliers but is attributable to you or a third party unconnected to us and is unforeseeable or unavoidable, or is due to circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if we exercised all due care and attention. We are not responsible or liable for an event which we, our employees, agents, suppliers and subcontractor could not, even with all due care, have foreseen or forestalled.
In the event you suffer a serious emergency overseas which cannot be resolved locally, you should call our UK emergency hotline which will be given to you in your pre-departure information.
If you are unhappy with the services we provide to you before you depart the UK please contact your Impact Holiday trip advisor by email or telephone. In the event the trip advisor cannot solve the problem or satisfy you, please email our Customer Service Manager outlining the problem and what you expect us to do about it. We will do our best to resolve the issue fairly. When dealing with complaints Impact Holiday cannot accept online chats, Facebook messages, text messages etc as appropriate means of communication. You must email our office on email@example.com or email your travel co-ordinator.
We do not accept any complaints by an individual, or individuals which purport to be on behalf of the group. We need to receive any complaints from everyone who is complaining, individually.
If you think we have failed in our services to you while you are overseas, you must first discuss the issue with the local staff who will do their best to solve the problem. If the problem is not solved, or if the local staff are part of the problem, please email our Customer Service Manager in the UK, or call the UK office. Our office is open 09:00 - 17:30 Monday to Friday. We will do our best to resolve your problem fairly.
You must give us an opportunity to fix any problem when it happens, so you must contact us within 48 hours of any problem if you would like us to take any action. We do not make any compensation payments or refunds if this procedure is not followed.
If you do not speak with our local staff, or email us in the UK office, we cannot be held responsible for any issues you complain about, because you will not have given us the opportunity to put the matter right.
Standards of accommodation, cleanliness, hygiene, health and safety and other services may be quite different from what you are accustomed to at home in the UK, and you should be prepared for this. We will do our best to prepare you for the likely standards you will encounter before you depart, but we cannot be held liable for any refunds as a result of complaints about standards which we have adequately described.
Your responsibilities and code of conduct
- You agree to abide by these Impact Holiday terms and conditions.
- You agree to comply with the laws and regulations of the country(s) you visit on your trip, including drug and alcohol regulations and social conventions.
- Your trip will have specific guidelines concerning the behaviour expected from you and you agree to comply with these. You will be advised of these before you depart and again when you are in your destination.
- If you commit illegal acts, or if in the opinion of our local coordinator your behaviour is seriously unacceptable in any way and is disrupting the smooth progress of your trip or threatening the safety or enjoyment of the other participants, we will issue a warning to you. If you disregard this warning we may insist that you leave the trip. If this happens, we will not be responsible for any refund to you, nor for any travel arrangements to get you back home. Further, we may claim expenses from you for any related costs that we incur as a result of your behaviour.
- If you are on a volunteering trip, you agree to adhere to the code of conduct which will have been given to you in writing among your pre-departure documents. This prepares you for what is considered decent and respectable behavior for people volunteering in largely poor communities overseas. Failure to adhere with the code will result in you being asked to leave the trip, as outlined in point 4 above.
The Disclosure and Barring Service DBS (Previously CRB) checks
If your trip involves volunteering with, or teaching children or vulnerable adults we will ask you to complete a DBS (previously CRB) check. We will pass on your criminal record details to our in country partners prior to your arrival. This is necessary to ensure your suitability to work/volunteer with children and vulnerable people on our trips. In the event you are turned down by the DBS check for any reason, you will not be able to join the trip you have booked and have a choice of either switching to a trip that does not require a DBS check, or cancelling the trip altogether. Any refund to you will be based on the timing of your cancellation. You will receive a refund as outlined in point 10 of the booking conditions above. If you switch to another trip you may be charged a trip change fee.
If you have not received your DBS report before your trip is due to leave, we cannot allow you to depart, and you will have to postpone your departure in that event. Any costs involved in your postponement are at your expense.
Acceptance of risk
If you participate in an activity that is not specifically included in the trip provided by us, you do so at your own risk. If you have any complaint or suffer any injury or illness as a result of your participation in this activity we cannot be held responsible and your claim should be directed to the local supplier. In the event that you do not receive satisfaction, and we believe your claim is valid, we may help you pursue your claim, but we cannot be held responsible for any outcome and we may ask you to contribute to our costs in this regard.
Our trips operate in a variety of places around the world, some of which may be or may become politically unstable, suffer extreme weather, disease or other conditions which could cause you discomfort or even a risk to your safety. In booking your trip, you accept that this kind of trip can involve such hazards, and changes or disruption to your trip may occur. In the event you do not receive a specific part of your trip because of any event or condition beyond our control, we may decide to issue a partial refund for services lost, but we are not obliged to do so.
It is not possible for us to be responsible for events or the actions or failures of people and organizations over whom we have no control, and no claim can be made against us in this regard. We accept your trip booking on the basis that you agree and understand that there may be risks associated with the trip. We cannot be held liable or responsible for any delays, accidents, damage, loss, health issues or other issues resulting from the failure of people and organisations other than our own staff.
Some trips are entirely operated by third parties. We vet these third parties and arrange trips with them on your behalf, but any liability for claims you may wish to make against them lies with the third parties and not Impact Holiday, although we will help you with claims in the event that we deem your claim fair and reasonable.
Applicable law and jurisdiction
No matter where you live, your booking with us is accepted under English law and the Courts of England and Wales shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to decide on any disputes between us.